Translate

Friday, December 12, 2014

Did Jesus Say He was God?

Not surprisingly, the topic of whether or not Jesus ever claimed to be God is quite common. However, it is recorded in the scriptures that Jesus did in fact claim to be God on multiple occasions. Take for example John 10:22-23:

“It was now winter, and Jesus was in Jerusalem at the time of Hanukkah, the Festival of Dedication. He was in the Temple, walking through the section known as Solomon’s Colonnade. The people surrounded him and asked, ‘How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.’
“Jesus replied, ‘I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name. But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.’”
“Once again the people picked up stones to kill him. Jesus said, ‘At my Father’s direction I have done many good works. For which one are you going to stone me?’
“They replied, ‘We’re stoning you not for any good work, but for blasphemy! You, a mere man, claim to be God.’”
~ John 10:22-33 New Living Translation (NLT) [Emphasis Added]
     
Now, there are some who look at this verse and say: “No, Jesus isn't claiming to be one with God. He's only claiming that he and God are ‘one in purpose.’ That is to say, they have a common goal/plan for humanity.”
This argument, however, is entirely false as revealed by the Jewish Leaders' response in verses 31-33. They knew what Jesus was saying. There was absolutely no room for doubt or misinterpretation. Jesus claimed to be God.

Now, this should be proof enough of Jesus' divine nature. But there are several other examples I would like to point out. The first is during Jesus' arrest in the Garden of Gethsemane as recorded in the book of John.

  “After saying these things, Jesus crossed the Kidron Valley with his disciples and entered a grove of olive trees. Judas, the betrayer, knew this place, because Jesus had often gone there with his disciples. The leading priests and Pharisees had given Judas a contingent of Roman soldiers and Temple guards to accompany him. Now with blazing torches, lanterns, and weapons, they arrived at the olive grove.
“Jesus fully realized all that was going to happen to him, so he stepped forward to meet them. ‘Who are you looking for?’ he asked.
“‘Jesus the Nazarene,’ they replied.
“‘I am he,’ Jesus said. (Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.) As Jesus said “I am he,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! Once more he asked them, ‘Who are you looking for?’
And again they replied, ‘Jesus the Nazarene.’
“‘I told you that I am he,’ Jesus said. ‘And since I am the one you want, let these others go.’
~ John 18:1-8 New Living Translation (NLT) [Emphasis Added]

Now it is important to note that a contingent of Roman soldiers usually consisted of about 100-200 men, if not more. That is in addition to the temple guards sent by the High Priest. Therefore, it is safe to assume that there were at least 200 well-armed, well-trained men present in the garden when Jesus was arrested.

With that in mind, notice what happened in verses 5-6.

Why did over 100 elite solders draw back and fall to the ground when Jesus said “I Am he”?

The reason becomes apparent when you realize that in the original language of the New Testament— Greek — Jesus isn't simply answering their question. He isn't saying: “Oh? You're looking for Jesus of Nazareth? Well, that's me. How can I help you fine gentlemen this evening?” No. What Jesus says in verse 5 is Ego Eimi— the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew word אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה (Ehyeh). The “I Am” Jesus used to identify himself in this passage is the name God used when He first spoke to Moses in the Greek version of Exodus 3:14

Not only did Jesus Identify himself as God in this passage, he also used the same “I Am” (Ego Eimi) in John 4:26 when he identify himself as the Messiah to the Samaritan woman at the well. This phrase is repeated in John 8:58-60 when Jesus tells the Pharisees that “...before Abraham was, I Am,” and again during his trial as recorded in the books of Mark and Luke (Mark 14:60-64, Luke 22:66-71)
All of these claims were made prior to Jesus' death and resurrection. But his claims of divinity don't end there. Jesus equates himself with God once again in Revelation 1:8 and Revelation 22:12-20.
Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. He existed in the Beginning with God, and he is God. (John 1:1-5) In no uncertain terms, Jesus declared himself to be God and revealed his power to the Roman Legionaries sent to arrest him. He proclaimed his name to the Jewish High Council during his trial, yet humbled himself to die in our place on the cross. Finally, having surrendered his life voluntarily for the sins of all mankind, Jesus raised himself from the dead three days later, just as he said he would. (John 2:19John 10:18, Mark 14:58)
The evidence in scripture is obvious: Jesus and God are one in the same, just as Jesus said.




No comments: